Sic transit.... looking backwards and forwards

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Apr 4 07:20:47 MDT 2007

John, thank you for that additional information. Most interesting!  The
Erard is very much in the style of the Kirkman whose pictures you privded a
link to. The Pressure bar is very similar indeed. Also, like the Kirkman,
the Erard has individually terminated trichord strings.

Some years ago, very close to where the Erard is, I tuned a really old
Collard and Collard grand, perhaps around 1860, and I would love to see it
again some time.

I am really glad to know that you are restored to health.

I loved your recent description on the List of the Bosendorfer as sounding
like a washing machine in the bass!  However, I always find that in
recordings of Bosendorfers, there is a kind of warmth that is attractive,
even if the treble can sound 'papery' or thin.  Curiously, the few CDs I
have of Fazioli pianos make them sound rather "cold" somehow, in my opinion.
I've played a few of them, and found them very beautiful, with a
fantastically even sound across the compass and beautifully regulated.  But
somehow I haven't warmed to them in recordings.

Do others have 'favourite' recordings that they feel show off a particular
brand?

Best regards,

David.