CA glue questions

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed Apr 4 22:26:25 MDT 2007

Hi Paul,

I leave after I apply the glue. *grin*. Well, not quite true--I do stick
around for payment.

I agree that repeated exposure is not a good thing. I do also ask the
client if they have any allergies. If they do then I do a "test" of a drop
or two of CA glue to see if they have a reaction. So far, only one client
has been unable to tolerate it.

CA glue is not toxic--that is unless you glue your nose and mouth shut.
Then it is toxic in about 5 minutes.

I've been tuning for over 30 years and my ears don't ring after a day of
tuning. Learn to tune softly. Use ear protection. Use the ETD of your
choice to lessen the stress on your mind and body.

At 10:09 PM 4/4/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>I think that 3 hours of (decreasing levels of ) exposure to CA fumes is too
>much for anyone if they're going to do it repeatedly. Granted that my
>argument is based solely on my sensitivity to CA fumes and on first- and
>second-hand, unrelated knowledge of epoxy and other sensitivities, but I
>don't think it's a good idea to repeatedly expose oneself to any
>chemical like that. Just like the first time you tuned a piano, your ears
>probably didn't ring and hurt the next day, nor the second time, nor
>probably the third... but by the 30th time they do start to hurt and ring.
>Spending an hour in the desert watching the Reno Air Races won'
>Repeated exposure to toxins (noise, light, or chemical) is harmful. If they
>can't open a door or a window, or at the very least provide a large
>auditorium or sanctuary to dissipate the fumes (I can provide a fan),
>I'm not going to kill myself for anyone's old piano.
>
>Sometimes the toxin is undetectable by the human body'   Think about
>it. You're not invincible, regardless of how young or old you are.
>
>Paul
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner