Extra crap attached to e-mails -- OT

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 4 23:23:08 MDT 2007

Hi, Rob,

At 09:06 PM 4/4/2007, you wrote:
>It has just come to my attention that when I send e-mails to the
>list it is attaching a lot of extra crap- apparently needless
>network information.  Has anyone else found this when they open my
>mail?  I sent a test mail to myself and it wasn't there.  I found no
>unusual settings in the "options" or "tools" settings.
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV

OK...pulling the headers out where they can be seen gives this information:

++++++++++++++++++

From: "Rob & Helen Goodale" <rrg at unlv.nevada.edu>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Subject: Extra crap attached to e-mails --  OT
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:06:43 -0700
         04 Apr 2007 21:06:50 -0700
         SpamAssassin 3.0.4, 2005-06-05 [spam threshold=4.5 pts]
         -1.7 total points [autolearn=no], summary follows:
         pts rule name              description
         ---- ----------------------
         0.9 SPF_FAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (fail)
         [SPF failed: Please see
         http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=rrg%40unlv.nevada.edu&ip=131.216.128.62&receiver=griffith-peak.scsv.nevada.edu]
         0.1 HTML_50_60             BODY: Message is 50% to 60% HTML
         -2.6 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
         [score: 0.0000]
         0.3 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
         -0.4 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
Sender: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org

It has just come to my attention that when I send e-mails to the list
it is attaching a lot of extra crap- apparently needless network
information.  Has anyone else found this when they open my mail?  I
sent a test mail to myself and it wasn't there.  I found no unusual
settings in the "options" or "tools" settings.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

No, I have not found this to be the case with your posts.

It may be that you have some HTML stuff buried someplace (which some
EM readers do not like very much), or that MS Outlook is just
misbehaving.  Most of the above looks to me like the normal kind of
stuff that gets added when messages are pushed out between various
mail servers.  In your case, someone at UNLV has added a Spam
Assassin scan to outgoing mail...though why they would burn the CPU
cycles to scan outbound mail eludes me (unless they are trying to
avoid being "black-listed" by someone like AOL or Earthlink, or, more
likely, protect the University from its own students).

If folks are seeing junk as part of EM messages that you are sending
out (which I have not seen, yet), they might also be running some
older or non-main-stream EM reader.  (We still have some folks at
Stanford who insist on using "Pine" for EM...and then whine about it
barfing on just about everything...go figure.)  I occasionally get
forwards/messages from some folks who are running older versions of
things like Apple Mail or Microsoft Mail which sometimes have to be
opened as a text file to legible.  Sometimes, if it is too egregious
to deal with, I simply send back what I get from them.

Part of the problem with the design of the communications protocols
used on the 'Net is that, in trying to be all things to all people,
there is very little that they actually do very well...just a whole
bunch of stuff in a rather ho-hum, hap-hazard kind of way...which
mostly works.  The point is, one cannot possibly please all of the
people all of the time...it's one of those Aural v. ETD kinds of
problems...e.g., one with no one "right" answer.

Hope this is of some help.

Best.

Horace