Grand Mute Rail

Geoffrey Arnold welltemperedtuning at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 12:23:54 MDT 2007

Hello all,

I came across a Yamaha grand in a retirement home with a mute rail installed. I haven't seen much of this but the set-up seemed simple enough.
It had a cable pull cord mounted under the keybed on the bass side which when pulled engaged the mute-rail over the hammers and when pushed disengaged the mute rail.

Since then I have had a church consult with me on how to get the piano extremely quiet during service when the pastor is speaking and no other music is played, but then allow the accompanist to play full volume when more instruments join. The una corda did not provide enough volume control and I told them about the possibility of installing a mute rail, though I have never done so before.

I know Pianotech sells a universal mute rail to be installed on verticals. Can this be adapted for grand installation? Is there a parts-supplier with a grand mute-rail assembly? Has anyone installed these?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Greg Arnold
www.welltemperedtuning.com

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265