Backpost delamination

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Thu Apr 5 19:39:21 MDT 2007

Cy,
In the 60's I was sent by the selling dealor to tune a fairly new Gulbransen
console. It was about 30cts low -- brought up to A440. The next week she
complained that it was "way out" in the mid section. I returned and pulled
the mid section up again about 30-35cts. You guessed it, next week the same
problem. I had on all previously visits checked the plate and the entire
structure.  This time with the lower panel off, I was again bringing it up
when I heard the loudest bang, like a shotgun. A hitch pin flew out at the
break hit my leg and came to rest on the other side of the room.  I think
the lady had an accident in the kitchen. Thank God the piano was in
warrentee and was replaced.  Morale, don't think only of back post
seperation, absolve yourself of any responsibilty before continuing, and, oh
yes, leave the lower panel on when pitch raising.  ( This was my only one in
over 50 years of tuning).
Carlos Ralon, RPT