Grand Mute Rail

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Thu Apr 5 23:55:12 MDT 2007

The mute rail you saw on the Yamaha was an option on Japanese-market
grands. I've never seen one on American Yamahas.

A couple of years back I pulled one of those mechanisms out of a Yamaha
because it no longer worked (I think it had a stripped gear). It was a
rather clever rig which could only work on a few models and I couldn't
see it being easily adapted to a different make piano. If this is for a
Yamaha, maybe someone knows of a parts supplier in Japan who has this in
their catalog.

Another approach is to muffle the piano with acoustic foam underneath
the soundboard (talk to Judi at Edwards Covers). Topside, you can take
out the music desk and put it on top of the closed lid. If more muffling
is needed, a padded cover can help. Then you would need to put a mic
inside for full volume.

Tom Cole