Mac Database advice

David Haynes david at pianogrammar.com
Mon Apr 9 11:07:36 MDT 2007

Hi John,

I, on the other hand, am new to the PTG scene but long in the tooth
regarding Macs and Filemaker. I like Filemaker for three reasons: first, I
know the software; second, I can share files pretty seamlessly with Windows
machines; third, it's pretty easy to use - "easy" being relative. (see the
review at pcmag.com) $300 for this software is pretty cheap, given what it
can do.

So, to your question, what can it do? The short answer is, just about
anything you want it to. What it should do is another question altogether.

I'm not new to business but I am new to the technician's world so I'm not in
the best position to answer that question - I'd appreciate everyone's
insight. Most of my time is being spent in awe of how much you all know and
how much I have yet to learn - I've been a player and piano owner for
several decades and had no idea what my technician - one of the best in the
area - had to know (perhaps there's a lesson there).

My vision was to incorporate historical data about client's pianos
(including photos and maybe even sound files), problems, "watch out for that
loose...", estimates, quotes, invoices, mailings, labels, letters, special
offers, maps, personal data, as well as a collection of connected thoughts
about dealing with specific problems -"What was that idea about dealing with
loose pins...?"

My problem is that I have no idea if the effort is worth the return.
(Although I've already discovered that dumping maps, and noting phone
conversations, onto my PDA is a wise thing to do.)

I fear I've already bored most of the people here (sorry) so perhaps you'd
like to contact me directly and we can "talk" about possibilities.

David