erard key dip and hammer blow

Max Di Mario maxdimario at aliceposta.it
Mon Apr 9 11:58:25 MDT 2007

Hello,

I am situated in a town in the north of Italy, near Milan.

I have a major problem with two Erard pianos: one is 1890 and the other is 1894

I am trying to present these pianos in a historically correct way. I feel that the aesthetic of the sound needs to be considered apart from volume issues.

basically I need to know what the factory key dip would be for such a piano.

I have seen and heard 11mm 10mm 9mm 8mm all regulations
with varied results.

the piano I am trying to regulate is currently at 10 mm with hammer travel at 48-50 mm

with 11mm it's possible to get 54-52 mm which works but the black keys are too low-looking for it to be factory-settings.

if I place the hammers for 47-48 mm hammerblow and 9 mm key dip the hammers look high above the hammer rest!

I have heard that 8-9 mm is more like it.. that would raise the hammers fairly high above hammer rest but the keyboard makes more sense..

Does anyone out there know what the key dip was for erard in the 1890's FROM THE FACTORY?

Max Di Mario