Yamaha keybeds

Lance Lafargue lafargue at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 9 17:38:00 MDT 2007

I've always thought that Yamaha and Steinway keybeds were built with expansion joints and that there were, in essence, slots in the bed.  I added Dampp-chaser rods under them because of that, thinking that here in LA this would help the action, pinblock, etc.  But I recently cut into a C3 for PianoDisc installation, (maybe a 4 year old piano) and found that the top and bottom veneers were spruce, but the "slots" were fake and the keybed was essentially laminated mahogany, etc., solid, with a moisture barrier on the top and bottom.  Does anyone know when they started this design or have any more info on this?
Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
LPIANOS.com
4244 Hwy 22 Mandeville, LA 70471