Lowrey grand problem update

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 9 23:26:06 MDT 2007

Hi, John:
	Reading the responses so far, I believe that the action may be shifting
too far to the right.  If you are playing a note in the shifted position,
it should NOT touch the left string of the adjacent note (the one to the
right).  If it does, you need to adjust the stop screw (capstan, whatever)
on the right side of the action.  The action shift stop screw is sometimes
in the right cheek block, and sometimes in the right side of the action
cavity.  Or, you could limit the travel of the shift lever under the keybed
by adding a capstan or pieces of leather or felt above the lever.
	 If you space the hammers properly, where the hammer clears the left
string when the action is shifted, and your shift stop screw is properly
set, you won't ever hit the next note.
	Regarding the damper problem, if your A# key lifts the A and A#
underlever/damper, you need to shim the stop block until this is corrected.
If it's only one key that does this, you may need to "travel" the
underlever for that note.  I doubt that this would be the case, however.
Perhaps you need only trim the key-end felt on that one note.  Removing the
stack will help to see what's happening.
	Be sure to think through the solution, because making a change in one
place may affect many other adjustments.  If you shim the stop block, you
may have to re-space the hammers to the strings, which may neccesitate
travelling the wippen flanges under the knuckles, etc.  Look at all the
possible solutions, and try to see what could go wrong in each case.  Try
to find out if someone else has made an incorrect decision to remedy a
problem, which has caused the problem you are now facing.  Sometimes a
little mistake can be easily corrected, eliminating the need to do a lot of
regulation.
	Hope this helps.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

HAS
> to be the end of the G# key lever. However, when I look at the other end,
> everything looks like it should with nothing out of place. I even took
out
> the hammer stack so I could remove both keys. No worn or smooth spots or
> splinters that could indicate that the keys were rubbing, and the felt
was
> behaving as well. I just wish I could see past the stack to where the key
> lever lifts the damper underlever while the action is installed, of
course
> that would make the job easy. Maybe I'll email those pictures to you guys
as
> well as soon as I get a camera out there. I'll try to make an appointment
> with her for next Monday.
> John Cole
> Clinton, AR

> The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by
Experian.

http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVE
RAGE