Live at the Atelier: Mike Melvoin

David Andersen Pianos david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Apr 11 15:35:50 MDT 2007

Live at the Atelier: Mike Melvoin
You're Invited.....

Child prodigy? Check. Ivy League grad?
Check.
Young Hollywood piano phenom, playing with
the
hallowed "Wrecking
Crew" (Hal Blaine, Carole Kay, John Guerin,
Leon
Russell, Tommy Tedesco and others) in the
pop and
cultural maelstrom of the mid-to-late '60's,
and who
defined the term "A-band, first call, double-
scale
monsters"---those amazingly versatile
musicians who
could sight-read anything, in any genre, and
play it
like they had lived in that style of music
forever?
Check.

Film and TV Scores? Yup. Special
collaborations,
live and in the studio, with such diverse
beings as
Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett,
Peggy Lee, Barbra Streisand, Tom Waits,
John
Lennon, Cal Tjader, Laura Nyro, Tiny Tim,
Joe
Williams, Paul Horn, Lulu, Bobby Darin, and
Lowell
George? Absolutely.

A successful career as a jazz pianist, playing
with one of the greatest jazz rhythm sections
extant as the Mike Melvoin Trio?  Check.

This man has lived, played and worked,
joyfully and fully, in the heart of show
business, for 50 years. He is a national
treasure. A wildly successful family man, with
a happy and beautiful wife, lovely children
and grandchildren who adore him. A giver to
and server of the community in unpaid
positions for many years, culminating with his
time as president of the National Academy of
Recording Arts & Sciences---NARAS, or the
people who do the Grammys, and a load of
other benevolent things, for musicians and
music workers and the community at large

An artist that has done what few can---balance
prodigious and continual artistic output with a
happy, healthy family and community life, living
the Golden Rule.

But---you know what? The thing that locked
this concert in place was when Mike came
over one day, after having heard and seen
Tamir Hendelman's solo concert last fall, to
play the pianos at the
Atelier.  He sat down in front of a truly
beautiful Steinway "C" (7'5") we had at that
time, played his "test chords" for a minute,
looked up at me and said a one-word
expletive, and then ripped into some of the
nastiest, dirtiest, most melodic piano blues I'd
ever heard.  I started stomping on the floor,
making little grunting noises, and playing the
drums on the rim of the piano.  I was
transported, and made the decision then and
there to be able to make the following
statement:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's my pleasure and
privilege to bring you, in solo concert, (with a
very, very special guest), the magic, the music,
the incredible, raconteurish, hilarious and
touching stories of Mike Melvoin.

Please do not let this rare opportunity slip
away. This concert will sell out quickly; please
reserve your seats now. We will both record
and film this historic event, which also
celebrates the artist's 70th birthday.

How happy are we? Very happy indeed.

DATE: Sunday May 6, 2007
TIME: 2:00 PM
LOCATION: The Atelier
RSVP: Jenika 310-457-5604

Coming Up
Live at the Atelier: Mordecai Shehori

Sunday, June 10, 2007  2PM

Originally a protege of the legendary Isaac
Stern, and rightly legendary in his own right
as a gifted teacher and performer, this lyrical,
warm, and engaging artist will perform for the
first time in solo concert in LA. His loyal fans,
familiar with Shehori through CD and DVD,
will make sure his southern California debut
is luminous. We'll be preselling the DVD/
download of this concert.

David Andersen Pianos & The Atelier - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=ewfdk5bab.0.icc7t5bab.xksck5bab.644&ts=S0242&p=http%3A%2F%2Fdavidandersenpianos.com
---

Live at the Atelier: Itzhak Solsky

Sunday, August 5, 2007  2PM

This fiery, mercurial young Israeli, now living
in Florence, swept through LA last year and
established his presence here. Now, with
powerful business backing, an increasingly
packed performing schedule, and a lean,
muscular all-Bach program, this summer's
concert will be recorded and filmed, and
should be a crucial component in Itzhak's
continuing rise to prominenence.

David Andersenpianos & The Atelier - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=ewfdk5bab.0.icc7t5bab.xksck5bab.644&ts=S0242&p=http%3A%2F%2Fdavidandersenpianos.com
---

COMING THIS FALL:

Tamir Hendelman, Mike Garson, Gerald
Clayton, Mario Feninger, and more....stay in
touch...

Call Jenika
or email us and let us know how many will be
coming and we'll give you all of the details.

We'll see you soon---for a magic afternoon...

David Andersen Pianos

email: david at davidandersenpianos.com
phone: 310-457-5604
web: http://davidandersenpianos.com

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&a=1101602592452

This email was sent to pianotech at ptg.org,
by david at davidandersenpianos.com

Update Profile/Email Address
http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&se=644&t=1101602592452&lang=en&reason=F

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&se=644&t=1101602592452&lang=en&reason=F

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp