Franz Mohr in Moscow

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Apr 13 01:43:54 MDT 2007

Haha, yes, "harsh" and "whiney" are good adjectivs.  I used to see some
American spinets as there was a U.S. naval base near here until the late
1980s.  And, it must be said, UK spinet-sized pianos are just the same!

Here are some attempts of mine at describing concert grand sounds:

Earl Wild's Baldwin:  "Round, fruity, plummy, full"
Bosendorfer: "Warm, very meaty bass, sometimes papery treble"
Fazioli: "Even, cool, neutral, powerful"
Stuart & Sons (No1): "Piercing, clear, lean"
Yamaha: "Sweet, uncoloured"
Steinway: "Full, warm, rich"

I gave up a bit on the Steinway.  You are entirely at liberty to completely
disagree with those descriptions and find better ones folks!

David Boyce

"Yes. I can perfectly describe the tone of Wurlitzer console and spinet and
micro-grand pianos that I tune: I believe the technically correct
terminology is "Harsh whiney crap."

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
"