Temperament selection (was: Franz Mohr in Moscow)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 06:51:25 MDT 2007

Jon writes:

<< ET does have it's limitations on small pianos. A Well Temperament placed
on these types really does make them more sonorous. Sounding better
than you could imagine, taking the harshness and edginess out which
ET puts in. >>

         It has been related to me that a well-tempered console piano will
sell before an identical equally tempered one right beside it.  This, from a
store owner/technician who was initially very leary of not using ET.  I gave a
temperament program for a local organization, and tuned a Petrof he had at the
store.   After a weekend of trying a mild WT in the middle of all his store
pianos, he was asking about "what kind of machine did I use to make the piano
sound like that?"   He liked the sound, a lot.   He has since found that the WT
smaller pianos sell first, in a store with rows of identical small pianos.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>