Brown bag temperament test Re: Temperament selection (was: Franz Mohr in Moscow)

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:09:29 MDT 2007

That project would be fun to try.

Regarding the Vallotti Well temperament...isn't that a bit on the
edgier side? Might not be a good first HT intro.

What I do since I'm tuning aurally is use Bill Bremmer's temperament
sequence for the EBVT.  The temperament instructions are really good,
although I don't do a strict EBVT. Instead, I vary the interval widths
to get what I want. It's relatively easy to manipulate, and if you're
paying attention, you can fudge here and there to get from the EBVT to
anywhere between the EBVT and ET.

Basically, it's a matter of modifying the fiths to get the thirds
you're wanting. For instance, I like to start out with a C4-E4 about
8-9 bps, which would be a milder sound than ET, but not as mild as
EBVT. Then, you make everything else fit. Such as the F3-A3 third is
about 6.5 bps instead of 6 bps. The end result is still similar to
EBVT, but not quite as extreme.

This is one instance where it would be nice to have an ETD to see what
it is I'm actually doing. :-)  It's almost certainly some existing
temperament because there are not an infinite number of variations
with regard to interval widths.

JF