New board with cut-off for Steinway XR

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sun Apr 15 06:08:03 MDT 2007

Hi all,

We're currently rebuilding an interesting little piano, a 1925
Steinway XR grand (this piano has a model M plate) with an American
Black Walnut art case and an Ampico reproducer.

Our brief from the owner was that he wanted it rebuilt to original
spec, ie. without any modification bells and whistles, since the
piano was in original condition when he purchased it. The board
wasn't too good from a visual and tonal perspective so we decided to
replace it.

The first plan was to build a compression crowned panel to keep it
totally original. However, with only ten ribs and no bass corner
cut-off, I decided that the board might be better made as a hybrid
with crowned ribs and a moderately dried panel to 6%. So our purest
ideals didn't last for long. I made a test soundboard strip of the
longest rib (1200 mm) and found that it was very weak on account of
the long span, with a quite high crown of 14 mm in the middle of the
rib. For the sample, the rib-top was machined with a 60' radius. The
dried test panel was glued to the rib with the rib-top-surface held
at the same 60' radius. After panel re-hydration the test strip
crowned a further 5.5 mm. This level of crown is likely to cause all
sorts of packing problems with the rear aliquot blocks. Furthermore,
I just don't like the middle-order ribs being so long and weak. So on
Thursday night I took one of my laminated cut-off pieces and laid it
in the case, just to have a look at possibilities. It made so much
sense, and I can't see the point of re-boarding a case with an
original design board which may fail in a decade or so on account of
poor design.

So I called the owner in for a discussion. After explaining my
thinking, he agreed that since we could cover the bass corner with
the soundboard panel, thus hiding the evidence, and since the player
gear will fully block visual access to the underside of the board, we
decided to press ahead and fit one of my laminated cut-offs to the
case. I'm still going to make the board as a hybrid supported unit,
to keep something of the original design philosophy of the original
maker intact. With the cut-off, the two longest ribs which were 1200
mm long will now be around 850 long. This will be a much better
result, since the middle-order ribs will be stiffer than those in the
bass and the mid-board crown will now be much less on account of the
shorter span, which will make the setup prior to stringing a lot
simpler.

Here are some image links. I worked a bit over the weekend and got
the cut-off fitted.

Here is an image of the cut-off with the rib notching machined before
fitting it to the case.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/steain.bd6.jpg

Here is the cut-of clamped in place with the ribs stock sitting in
the notches for checking prior to gluing to cut-off in place.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/steain.bd7.jpg
As you can see, the cut-off greatly improves the structural layout
and soundboard-area distribution.

Here is an image of the cutoff glued and clamped into place.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/steain.bd8.jpg
I was feeling a bit ho-hum about this piano with the original board
concept, but now it will be very interesting to hear the end result.

Sorry I haven't contributed to any list discussion lately, since I've
had a whole lot of other stuff to attend to.

Regards,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY