Temperament selection

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 10:59:46 MDT 2007

Ed:

Unfortunately, I used your post for springboard to address other comments.
I am using sonority and consonance interchangeably in that I think the
appeal of the WT on smaller pianos (which was more the issue I was
addressing), and the comments about greater sonority, are based on greater
consonance of the keys most people happen to find themselves playing in.
The difference between keys in WT is another matter on which reasonable
people might agree or not and we've hashed out that discussion in the past.
Let it be said that the appeal of WT on lesser pianos, for me, is the
consonance (using your definitions) which tends to give them a more pleasing
sound in certain keys.  I don't think it improves the sound of the piano in
the outer keys and for those who find themselves (or their customers)
venturing frequently into the outer keys I'm not sure that the WT, then,
would have the same appeal or effect.  In that respect, I would argue for
the use of very mild WTs.  Personally, I don't like the sound of the Prinz
for Beethoven in that section.  A 21-cent-wide third is too severe for my
ear.  While it does create a "novel" sound which is intriguing at first, the
novelty wears off quickly, at least for me.  YEMV (Your ears may vary).

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com