iron wound strings

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Apr 20 04:49:42 MDT 2007

Hi folks,

How about iron wound strings?  I've a client with a rather old Baldwin that
has iron wound strings, in need of a new pinblock/strings, etc.  The client
is interested in keeping the strings iron wound and I've never replaced
irons wound with copper wound.  Are there pitfalls to be aware of?  What
kind of tonal difference would one expect if we were comparing new iron to
new copper?  I'd also be interested in arguments in favor of and against
keeping them iron.

Many thanks,
William R. Monroe