Thumb injury - Has this happened to you?

John Dutton duttonjw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:57:07 MDT 2007

I know several flute players that have had carpal tunnel surgery for this
symptom.  I have known many others-flute, trumpet, violin, horn-that had
similar occasional numbness that turned out to be pinched nerves in the
shoulder/neck area.  On one occasion it took a month to diagnose and as it
turned out was a combination of things. The individual typed on a laptop on
the couch for hours a day (posture! was unaware of hunching the shoulders)
and then of course had the added repetitive stress of performing/practicing.
For this person it resulted in minimizing laptop use on the couch even
though the symptomatic result (tension build up in the neck) only 'showed
up' when playing.  Yoga and attention to posture while on the computer ended
up fixing this one.

I would go see a doctor/chiropractor/acupuncturist.  Be honest about
anything that might lead to an impacted nerve or chronically tight muscle
group.  I would also evaluate my posture when tuning.  Keep the shoulders
down and relaxed and use the whole body to turn the lever and not just the
wrist or forearm-kind of like taijiquan.

Of course this advice and $1.65 will get you a cup of coffee.

John Dutton

Billings, MT

  _____