Steinway D

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Apr 22 12:28:18 MDT 2007

  List, Speaking of Steinway D's, I have been doing some concert work for the local University, and they have 2 D's, one of which was purchased from a Steinway C&A dealer (about 7 or 8  yrs old).  It seems that the dealer is trying to get them to be an "All-Steinway School".  I remember that someone on this list mentioned (awhile back) that Steinway had a list of criteria, or something, as to what they expected as far as service requirements and such.  The C&A piano needs to be restrung, I feel, as the top 1/2 is getting kind of false, and one string already broke when a professor was playing on it.  One string seems ready to break, as it would not stay in tune, no matter how you pound on it (although it seems to have stabilized somewhat, it still sounds a little strange).  Not loose tuning pins, or bridge pins (checked that already).
      I am just wondering if there is some degree of metal fatigue that sets in after awhile of being pounded on by artists, and tuners alike (trying to keep it in tune)?  Is there a standard I can show the University people as to when suggested re-stringing should occur?
  Clark A. Sprague, RPT