curved church floors

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Mon Apr 23 15:49:10 MDT 2007

Hi,
I have this notion that regardless of the piano being a grand or upright
that in these old churches with curved or bowled floors the piano is in
constant flex.  In this one particular church they had a very small
grand and it was impossible to tune on this floor.

They later purchased a 7 foot quality grand and a rolling stage was
built for it.  It was a steel framed platform on hydraulic legs with
locking wheels some engineering parishoners got together to build it and
it worked.

Now the new music director decides he wants the piano off the stage so
there is more freedom to move it.  I guess he couldn't imagine how the
key board would slope to the left and the bench may not be on the same
pitch as the piano.  You feel like your on a listing ship, and The Piano
Misbehaved (is now unstable) when I tuned it last.

I had recommended that they leave things alone.   I'm sure that when
these churches were built that no one considered they would want to
install a piano and that it might become the center of their musical
devotion.

I had recommended in the first place, with the small piano that they
level the floor by building a carpeted platform to just take the curve
out of the floor in the centre front of the church.   My feeling is that
no piano can take this kind of twisting and flexing and stay tuned.

Anybody have any ideas.

Jessica Masse