curved church floors

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 12:19:45 MDT 2007

It can be rather enlightening regarding your technique to push down
the damper pedal and play all the keys loudly (test blows) with your
flat hands several times and then check stability.  Made me change my
technique and you can do that to a piano I have tuned and have
nothing move.  Moving the piano doesn't really bother them
either.  Climate change does though that is a different issue...

I recommend doing that to pianos you are tuning the first time and
especially after the first pitch-raise pass.  That extra loud
vibration going on throughout the board can help distribute some
tension back behind the bridge.  Especially on older rusty pianos you
may find that is will help do that.  The other is to rub each string
with a maple hammer shank or better, a notched brass rod pulling away
from the bridge.  Don't push down so hard up close to the bridge that
you damage the bridge-capping.

Andrew Anderson