Getting the plate out

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 26 08:32:32 MDT 2007

Hi Phil,

It's hard to tell exactly how your steel beams support the floor, but if
they do support the floor above it - certainly you can have four big guys
standing around a keg without worrying that the floor will collapse - I
think you are correct that if you get a big thick hunk of steel square
section or I-beam and bolt it (span) to three or four of your ceiling steel
pieces, you are going to be way strong enough.

How much does a 9-foot piano plate weigh? At most maybe 500 or 600 lbs.
(probably less). That's like you, me and Dave standing in one spot - it's
just not that much weight.

My chainfall hangs from two six-foot-long four-by-four wooden posts. The
posts are centered in the 2x4 roof frame structure support pieces. The posts
simply lay in the crotches of four of the pre-made roof frames (you know the
things that look like a bunch of 2x4 WWWWs) - the posts span four of those
frame assemblies. I then have a thick steel plate that spans the two 4x4s -
the hook that my chainfall is attached to is through-bolted through the
steel plate. (Does this description make any sense?)

I think if you get a big thick 15 or 20-foot long hunk of steel (channel,
square or I) and bolt it to your ceiling steel things and span three or four
of them, you will be WAY BEYOND strong enough.

'Course I ain't no engineer.

I have no doubt an assembly that rolls might be nice. However, mine is
stationary and I have never felt restricted in any way taking plates in and
out. I always have my piano cases on rolling carts, so I simply move the
piano into position under the chainfall - hasn't been any problem at all.

Terry Farrell