Getting the plate out (safely)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 27 08:49:55 MDT 2007

> Two. Interesting. And how do you use them - one for the front of the
> plate with two attachments near either side (bass & treble) and the
> other chainfall for one attachment to the plate rear? Do you find it
> cumbersome at all to have to fumble with two chains to raise/lower the
> plate? Do you lift one a little and then the other and keep going back
> and forth - or can you reach both - one arm on each one?

I use them both on the bigger plates, 7'-9'. The smaller
plates get a single hoist. It's just easier to balance and
control the big 'uns with two hoists. I alternate, back and
forth, lifting and lowering.

>How far do you
> have them apart?

About 5'. I stood back, squinted, and spaced them at what I
thought looked like something that would accommodate 7'-9'
plates. Very scientific.

>I can imagine that your system would do a pretty darn
> good job of keeping the plate from doing 360-rotations! I don't find
> plate rotation to be problematic with one chainfall, but I can sure see
> that the more stable the darn thing is, the better.

It wasn't a problem for me either, except once. Having the
weight of big plates (especially that SD-10 I had in recently)
distributed between two hoists is easier on my chronic
overbuilding sensibilities too.

> When does the video come out? I'd watch it!

Sorry. The nap would probably do you good, but the process
looks just as straightforward and boring in person, and on
video, I expect, as it does in your mind's eye.
Tickticktickticktick - ticktickticktick - tickticktick...
Ron N