books that need a new home

Barbara Stephens enforcer_12 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 17:14:36 MDT 2007

First off, thank you for all the information that is so freely shared.

We have finally begun the long process of cleaning up and going through Guy
Nichols (deceased) shop.  As many of you know Guy was a huge collector of
knowledge.  The following list of books are in need on new homes.  All we
ask is that you pay for shipping and enjoy the knowledge as much as Guy did.

Piano Playing Mechanisms by William White
Theory and Practice of Piano Construction by William White
Piano Tuning and Allied Arts by William White
Piano Roles - A New History of the Piano by James Parakilas and others
On the Sensations of Tone by Hermann Helmholtz
Pianos and Their Makers: A Comprehensive History of the Development of the
Piano by Alfred Dolge
Tuning and Temperament: A Historical Survey by J. Murray Barbour
A History of Midwestern Piano Manufacturing by Jack Greenfield RPT
A Guide to Restringing by John Travis
Rebuilding The Player Paino by Larry Givens
Scientific Piano Tuning and Servicing by Alfred Howe
Piano Rebuilders' Handbook of Treble String Tensions (and other
characteristics) compiled by James Donelson RTT
Fundamentals of Mechanics and Heat by Hugh Young 2nd edition
Elementary Schience of Metals by J.W. Martin
Metallurgy of Iron and Steel by Bradley Stoughton

More books and tools are sure to follow.

Thank You,
Barbara Stephens
Las Cruces, NM
Assoc. Member

PS  As you can imagine Guy Nichols left a huge hole in this area.  If any
experienced RPT's are considering "retiring" to the sunny southwest I would
highly recommend this fast growing community.  Currently there are no RPT's
in Southern NM and the one active RPT in El Paso, TX is moving to KY.  This
is an art-oriented area with 2 large universities (one of which insists on
concert experienced RPT), 2 symphonies, many community concert
programs/institutions, etc.