signing 8283 IRS appraisal form

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 12:37:31 MDT 2007

I second this.  Replacement value is usually for purposes of insurance and
represents the coverage required to be assured that they could replace the
piano were their piano completely destroyed.  In actual fact, they could
probably replace a C7 for less than 30K.  Fair market value or what they
might sell their instrument for would be considerably less.  Appraisals
should always state the purpose of the appraisal with such disclaimers as
are necessary so that, for example, a replacement value appraisal with your
name on it is not used to represent fair market value for purposes of a
private sale.

A second appraisal establishing FMV for the purpose of donation is now
necessary and should be well documented.  You should be paid a fee for your
research and for compiling the necessary evidentiary documentation.  If you
don't feel comfortable doing that type of research then you should simply
refer them to either a licensed appraiser or another technician who provides
these types of services.  I would not sign the IRS document.  In the future
be sure that you know what the appraisal is to be used for, state that on
your report, and explain that values, documentation and fees may differ
depending on the specifics of the situation.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com