signing 8283 IRS appraisal form

pianowerks.inc at comcast.net pianowerks.inc at comcast.net
Mon Apr 30 09:48:02 MDT 2007

Julia,

An important point here is the difference between "replacement value" and "fair-market value".

You were probably right on with your appraisal of replacement value.  When your customer donates the item, he/she must use the fair-market value for tax purposes.

Did you include fair-market value on your appraisal?  The way I read the IRS forms, you can always provide more information should they (the IRS) request it, so you needn't fret too much.

Keep up the good work,

Brad Haskins

From: "Annie Grieshop" <annie at allthingspiano.com>

Here's the IRS info on the form -- appraisal regulations on p. 5 and appraiser qualifications on p. 6:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8283.pdf.

If you want to hand this off to someone else (e.g., the local music store), you could use the qualifications section to excuse yourself.  It sounds as though the owner misrepresented the purpose of the appraisal, so I wouldn't feel beholden to her in any way if I were you.

Annie Grieshop