OT: free office package for Mac users

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Mon Apr 30 10:09:30 MDT 2007

On 30, Apr 2007, , at 8:57, John Formsma wrote:

> FYI for Mac users...
>
> Another open source office package...based on OpenOffice.
>
> www.neooffice.org
>
> I haven't used it yet - just downloaded it this morning. Supposed to
> be better for the Mac than OO.
>
> JF

I have been using NeoOffice for over a year with my Mac F5 and
am very happy with it.  It can read/write documents in file formats
compatible with WORD and EXCEL, (as well as RTF and PDF
formats), and generally has all of the
bells & whistles that the equivalent Microsoft programs do.  The
Excel emulation is perhaps not quite as complete as M's Excel.
There is a Powerpoint equivalent with Neo but I have not had
any occasion to use it.  There's also a "Drawing" program but
again I have no experience with that.  I believe there is no
DBMS (Access equivalent), but since I use MySQL I didn't
miss those features.

My understanding is that the NeoOffice version is written in pure
Java, as opposed to a compiled language used for OO, but I may
be wrong.   At any rate, the performance of Neo is certainly fast
enough on my machine, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking
for a replacement for the M's office suite.

I guess the only negative is the lack of a comprehensive set of
documentation on the program.  I think the only doc'n is the
help pages of the program itself, and I find them pretty skimpy.