Dampp-Chaser Patent #6,133,519

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:08:35 MDT 2007

I found the Dampp-Chaser's patent online:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6133519.pdf
(you might have to create an account to look at the pdf, for some darned
reason)

According to the abstract, the under/back cover patent is for a "...moisture
impervious aperture free sheet...".  In the detail of the patent write-up,
under "Background of the Invention" it specifies "MYLAR or felt" (caps
theirs) "... having a plurality of apertures or holes..." (which, to my
mind, contradicts the abstract portion... but then again I'm not a lawyer.)

So, what sort of fabric/material is Dampp-Chaser's under/back cover made
of?  I'm not a rocket scientist, nor even a acoustic engineer, heck, I'm not
even an RPT, but the idea of Mylar back/under cover on a piano sounds to me
like it would sound a bit bizarre. Wouldn't it?? And wouldn't felt mute and
muffle the sound?  (see previous disclaimers regarding my qualifications)

I wonder what a "plurality of apertures or holes" means... several holes
and/or apertures in the cover, or is that phrase intended to include an open
weave like speaker cloth, being what it sounds like many techs are using.
An open weave certainly has a "plurality of holes," but it would make a lot
more better sense to say "open weave fabric."

Please understand that I'm not trying to get around anyone's patent, or
infringe on same... when the time comes I'll order the DC cover simply for
the convenience of it, if for no other reason. My curiosity is piqued about
this patent for a new way to use a piece of cloth... and I'd just like to
understand it better. Judging from the amount of traffic generated by this
topic, I don't think I'm alone.

Paul Bruesch
Computer Geek and PTG Associate, who typically plays by the rules but wants
to understand them. And I don't run with scissors.