Finding the strike line another method

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 15:18:13 MDT 2007

I would say that ALL pianos are designed with a straight strike line.  It's the first line on a blank sheet of paper (or computer screen), in the design process.  Having said that, someone from this list will try find an example to prove me wrong, but it is not Baldwin.  Somewhere along the way, someone at Baldwin discovered that the sound could be improved by altering the strike point.  Indenting the hammer line was an easy fix.  Sometime later, it was fixed right, by altering the plate and bridge to conform to the "new" strike point and restore the straight hammer line.

Frank Emerson