String Installation Question

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 17:37:23 MDT 2007

Last weekend, I tuned a console for a lady and discovered that a treble note was missing a string.  I pointed it out to her and I will be coming back to replace it.

  But I got to thinking....there are no traces of this broken string anywhere in the piano.  Totally vanished.  So, I am assuming that the previous tuner broke it, and didn't say anything.  Is that a fair assumption?

  Anyway, how do I get a mic reading from the adjacent string, or calculate which size wire to use?  I know PianoTek sells a micrometer than enables you to measure diameters of strings still in the piano, but I'd rather not spend $200 on this item if I can help it, and I'm assuming this situation doesn't happen THAT often.

  Any help will be appreciated.

  Thanks!
  Matthew