re;broken Leg Plate

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 00:36:38 MDT 2007

Hi,Paul and Del! Your welder is,probably, better then mine,I'm sure..I'd
seen a few weld jobs fail in the past and had to deal with a lot of leg
repairs after Northridge earthquake here in Los Angeles in 1994,so,I'm
speaking from experience...In my shop I always have a full set of all 3
available sizes of Leg Plates,ready to go..Over the years I'd accumulated a
few dozens extra sets of leg Plates IN PAIRS..Most of the time the FEMALE
portion will crack or break and there is no reason to salvage the Male
part,but in pairs they can be re-used,agree???  On some pianos under the
plates I had found veneer and cardboard shims and,surprisingly,APSCO used to
sell those shims,too.I do have a few dozens of those,too ,and they can be
handy to align the plates flush to the surface of the keybed or the
Leg..Saving those hard to find #18 and #20 wood screws can be a
help,too...This is a word of wisdom to younger people to save those
important parts for future repairs and salvage good parts,just in case.In my
situation,having part ready is less expansive then cost of gas to drive to a
welder.Here,in L.a.,welders  minimal charge is $55,cost of a new set of leg
plates from SCHAFF -$23 for all 3 pairs Plus postage..  Hope,this confession
helps..Good Luck.Isaac Sadigursky,Los Angeles chapter