The Potter Dilemma, Randy not Harry

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Fri Aug 3 15:22:12 MDT 2007

Matthew,

I, like you, signed up and paid for the complete Potter course about four years ago.  It is beyond question an excellent course in terms of information provided, tools issued, video tape/DVD's to listen to and the thought of having your tuning exercises listened to, graded and comments provided.  The problem I faced, like you, was getting the cassettes back in a reasonable amount of time.  I finally gave up after the last one took seven months, more than half a year!  Note that when I did get them back, the grade and comments sent back were absolutely finest kind, spot on.  And, I almost always got my graded homework back in a fair amount of time, also with excellent comments.  But I figured I'd be well into Social Security before I could tune.

The difference for me is that I began studying with Russell Gordon, my mentor, who's superb.  The (growing) problem for Randy is, I think, that he's just one person.  (Yes, they've hired other people I think, but I don't know.)  I for one would prefer to have him grade my cassettes but just think of the schedule:  off to this convention, that convention, a regional meeting, then his own school, then more conventions - not to mention trying to have a real life with real family members!  In the beginning I was frustrated, as you probably are now, especially from a pragmatic standpoint since he already had my all my money and I had, what, well, exactly what - I had all the course work which I also continually use it as reference, I had all the tools that came with the course which, at least, got me started, I had all the videotapes and, lo and behold, I was already out tuning and learning (and continuing to the learn) the craft, and repairs and joined the PTG.

Now, I've met Randy at two conventions (Rochester and Philly) and I think (somewhat cautiously in the beginning) he knows who I am.   And I think he's really a fine fellow that cares about all the above and about the PTG.  I also think, for these very reasons, he spreads himself way, way, way too thin and, if you ask him, he probably would even do that more.  I believe you can't learn tuning and the craft just from reading.  I think having mentor or a school or a very active PTG chapter will go along way.

So, in the end, am I frustrated or worse or not.  No, considering all I did get, I'm happy and I'm on my way.  Whether we like it or not, caviar wasn't what we expected the first time either.

Jim Frazee