A Taxing Question

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 17:30:37 MDT 2007

My guess would be that it is taxable.

  I work for a church, and occassionally I get what are called "love offerings" from people, just for no reason, I guess for doing good work.  A lot of this money goes thru the church, and I get a check.  Sure enough, on my W-2's, there is that added income in the wages box, even though it wasn't my regular income.

  Matthew

Alan Barnard <tune4u at earthlink.net> wrote:
                        Tuned a Steinway M today that did belong to one customer, now belongs to another, who has become a good friend over the years. I had been on the lookout for the right piano for this gentleman for a couple of years and introduced the two people.

  After tuning it, he wrote me a check and said "I'm adding $200 to this in appreciation for finding me this great piano."

  "Wow," says I, "Thanks". It was a total surprise because I had not asked for or expected any finders or sellers fees and really didn't do much more than make a couple of phone calls.

  Question: Is this $200 a gift, or is it a "fee" that I have to report as business income for taxes?

  Seems like a grey area to me.

  Alan Barnard
Salem, MO