Counter-bearing drag

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 19:13:48 MDT 2007

I have encountered severe cases such as you describe, where no amount of
lubrication would relieve the problem.  My solution  was as you described
with a brass half round counterbearing.  However, I would not totally
eliminate the felt, but select a thickness of felt that will only lightly
contact the string.  I would also use a narrower width felt.  It doesn't
take much to silence this tiny string segment.

Frank Emerson