The Potter Dilemma, Randy not Harry

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sat Aug 4 08:37:40 MDT 2007

Interesting, Barbara... I had just been thinking about exactly this, but
from a very different perspective. When I had gotten thoroughly frustrated
in my attempts to find meaningful employment in Corporate America [after
having been eliminated in a significant downsizing effort which ended a
mostly enjoyable 15-year tenure at a Large Company which now no longer
exists,] I decided to investigate the viability of Piano Technology.

The first words out of the instructor at the very first (local) school I
contacted were "Did you look at my website?" and the second words were "You
can make a lot of money in piano technology."

The instructor at the second (not local) school I contacted said "I'm not
sure what kind of money you're accustomed to making, but you'll be able to
afford to..."

At that point, and still, I am certainly interested in making a decent
living, but whether I make the money I was making as a systems programmer
supporting large-corporation infrastructure software is immaterial to me.

The instructors' comments about money were completely unsolicited and
actually unwelcome and off-putting. I wanted to learn a trade that would be
rewarding to me and which would put my considerable mechanical ability and
musical interests to good use.  Money obviously has some bearing, but large
quantities are no longer important to me 'cuz I've decided that it's
impossible to get to the point of having "too much," so I'll settle for
"enough to feed myself and my kids."

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN

I hope that when people are thinking about learning this trade, they're just