Fw: Twisting New Bass Strings

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sat Aug 4 10:14:45 MDT 2007

Paul et al,

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I thought a twist in a plain-wire string
would bring about ("false") beating. As you point out it shortens the length
of what is being twisted (one, maybe two string(s) of a three-string
"unison") resulting in a need for higher tension in one, maybe two string(s)
of a three-string "unison". What does that do to the "unison?"  I put
"unison" in quotes, 'cuz I'm wondering if they all make "one sound," i.e.
"uni-son".  While it may not result in beating, I would expect that the
twisted string(s) would produce a different sound than untwisted neighbor
string(s).

This is a question... not a lecture!  Is my thinking on the right track??

Thanks,
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN