help me with soundboard repair?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 11:53:37 MDT 2007

List

  The piano: an Everett studio console, about 30 years old.
  The client: one of my piano students.
  The problem: crack in the soundboard that makes a prominent, buzzy sound from about C4 to A5, with G4, G#4, and A4 being by far the worst.

  The soundboard is separated from the rib.  I can see exactly where it happens, and in fact, I can go around the front of the piano and put pressure on the soundboard with my thumb and the buzzing _nearly_ goes away.  The separated section is only about two inches in length..

  The problem spot is accessible from the front or back and based on the results of my thumb pushing it into the rib, it seems like all I have to do is draw the soundboard back toward the rib and secure it with glue.

  I've never done any soundboard repairs and I don't want to do this the wrong way.

  Should I order a soundboard clamp from Schaff?  Put the glue between the rib and the soundboard, clamp it and let it dry?

Should I order soundboard toggles from Schafff, insert the glue and leave the toggle in place to secure the rib?

Should lay the piano on its back and fill the crack with epoxy from the front?  (This in itself wouldn't solve the problem, but maybe after drawing the rib and board together it might make things better?)

  Or...WWYD?  (What would you do?)

Help!  (and Thanks!)

Tom Sivak
  Chicago