composite block warping

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 5 10:30:06 MDT 2007

> What do you think/do?

I look at the plank to see which side has the thickest outside
lamination, and that side goes on the bottom. I the saw and
plane the top to what my overall thickness minus the cap will
be, and laminate the cap on, with the whole mess clamped to a
flat plank. Measure and a final touch-up pass through the
planer (off the bottom) the next day if necessary, and that's
it. If they aren't dead flat, I haven't found it to be more
than a minor annoyance, and I'd be surprised to find a plate
with a dead flat webbing in any case. The only top fitting I
do is at the bevel going from the flange out onto the webbing
in come pianos, or if there is some casting anomaly to get
around, and that's only for minimal clearance. It's not
particularly well fitted.

Ron N