help me with soundboard repair? CA of course!

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 11:48:14 MDT 2007

In a message dated 08/05/07 08:47:05 Central Daylight Time, tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net writes:
Paul

Yes, thanks.  The separation is only about two inches long, so I'm guessing one screw hole would suffice.  Being a console against a wall, I don't think I'll need to plug the hole with the dowel.  That is primarily for cosmetic effect, right?
No, I don't like leaving screws in the ribs to loosen up later and potentially cause buzzing.

Thanks to all on helping me form a plan to attack this little problem.  Once again, the list proves to be a valuable source of info for the uninformed, such as myself.

Tom Sivak
Chicago

PAULREVENKOJONES <paulrevenkojones at aol.com> wrote:
Tom, I sent this about an hour and a half ago. Did you get it?

Paul

Tom:

Drill as many pilot holes with a small bit through the rib and soundboard on both sides of the crack as far as the rib/soundboard separation extends along the rib; the holes can be two, three, or four inches apart. Use a soundboard steel between the rib and soundboard as a stop and drill a 1/4" or 7/32" hole to accommodate a screw which will go through the rib without binding and extend a good quarter inch above the soundboard surface. Clean out rib/soundboard join with a side sharpened putty knife (take a 1" knife and sharpen a side edge on a belt sander). With a good spatula, apply carpenter's glue into the join between the rib and soundboard as far into the separation as you can. Install the screws with a washer to protect the rib surface starting from the farthest located hole in the rib from the crack; this will gradually pull the board and rib together without putting undo strain on the board or rib. Clean up all glue squeeze-out, please (I've seen so much sloppy repair over the years). Give it overnight to really setup. Remove the screws and with the same small bit you drilled the pilot holes carefully open up a small glue releasing hole in the soundboard. Plug the holes in the rib with either 1/4" dowel or 7/32" hammer shanks lightly tapping the glued plugs flush to the underside of the board. You should see squeeze-out on the soundboard surface. Clean up. Trim plugs flush with a fine Japanese flush-cutting saw, sand the plug end and rib to a smooth surface and zotz with shellac or lacquer; at least get some finish on the bare wood. You're done. The small holes in the soundboard can be cleaned and plugged from the top if you are concerned about appearance there.

Paul Revenko-Jones

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)