glue on the fingers

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 21:52:10 MDT 2007

Ron:

I certainly hope that I didn't imply that you leave messes :-). I also should clarify that most of the time I find this in grands and not in lesser pianos, although that probably doesn't make you feel any better. In fact, I think I've been following the same guy around here in Chicago for about 15 years cleaning up his messes after him. Large metropolitan areas allow for a lot crap to go unnoticed and for a lot of poor technicians to continue to get work.

Regards,

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 08/05/07 22:34:14 Central Daylight Time, rnossaman at cox.net writes:

> Wow! It never occurred to me that this "finishing" a job was screwing
> the customer. All of 20 minutes to do the plugging and clean-up. I have
> had the experience of going in behind other technicians on this type of
> repair and finding the most godawful mess, and because the client called
> me about continued buzzing in the board, which was caused by the screw
> in the rib which, when I removed it and plugged the hole in the rib, the
> noise went away. I can't recall that I fractionalized out the cost of
> the final steps as "additional", but simply costed the whole job. It's
> negligible, whatever it is. We all go to sleep at night in a different
> position :-).
>
> Paul

As far as I know, I've never left a godawful mess doing this
repair, nor have I ever, that's *EVER* known first hand of a
screw buzzing in this situation. If I had, I'd likely have a
different opinion. So for me, the job is finished when the
screw is tight and the squeeze out is mopped up. I may yet get
a call any minute now about a buzzing screw from that last job
I did, but it's pretty quiet so far.

Ron N