Coastal Dampp-chaser calibration

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 8 07:50:29 MDT 2007

Wayne,
As Steinway generally puts is, controlling the whole room is best but
not always feasible and when that is the case a DC system is the way
to go.  If I understand you correctly, you have measured the humidity
and have not noticed any lows dipping into the forties during the
active season there.  If that is the case, a DC dehumidifier only
system with under/back covers would prove adequate for the summer
performance season.  The low winter temperature if kept steady will
probably keep a steady humidity profile for the pianos.  With a DC
system the hygrometer controlled dehumidifier bars will shut off when
they are not needed and you don't have to worry about baking the piano.

I doubt a full system with humidifier would be properly maintained if
the camp is shut down for the winter.  You mention they are in a room
kept to 50 degrees.  I don't know how cold that area gets but it is
possible that humidity levels are acceptably high-enough during the
winter.  Of-course putting a hygrometer in the room that tracks high
and low extremes would reveal any problems.  Since it is a presumably
small room it may be possible to plumb in a low maintenance
humidifier if that is needed for the winter.

Good Luck,
Andrew Anderson