Counter-bearing drag

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 8 10:13:45 MDT 2007

> Ron:
> And how will the eventual marring and tarnish affect tone?

I don't know that it will, one way or the other.

> What concerns me is damage to the brass as a result of the string
> compression that one finds on old pianos that use this system. This
> includes brass aliquots that have even been plated. What if the string
> spacing needs to be refined?

Refine string spacing after how many years of being where it
is? Has this really been a problem in older pianos with half
round or oval counter bearing bars? I can't say it has been
for me, but then different locations have different realities.

>What happens to the profile of our
> termination?

What profile? My counter bearings don't define a speaking
segment, so they don't get profiled. They get left at the
radius of the rod they were cut from.

>Then again you see the same damage to the cast iron v-bars.

Yes we do, and at what tonal penalty?

> Uggg! Only questions, so few answers. :)

But we *can* ask more specific questions and examine the
premises around which our questions are formed for validity.
Ever read Ayn Rand? Whenever you are facing a contradiction,
check your premises. One of them is wrong.

Ron N