weirdly out of tune Kawai

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Aug 9 22:14:53 MDT 2007

> I don't think the plate was separating from the block or frame, because
> the piano took it's tuning properly and nothing seemed out of ordinary
> during the pitch raise/drop, or the tuning.

And it would likely qualify as a miracle if a block separating
from the frame in any piano left any part of said piano sharp.
Entropy is one way in this universe, nearly as I can tell.

> Never seen a piano go out of tune like that one, though.  I guess the
> previous tuning could have been awry, but not by that much!  The piano
> had to help things along.  (I don't know how long it had been since it
> was tuned before.  This was a new client.)
>
> Any comments?
>
> Tom Sivak

I've seen a bunch of this sort of thing. What caused it? It's
a mystery, but all subsequent trips to these mystery pianos
after my initial visit showed normal and what I would call
non-miraculous and predictable pitch variations from humidity
changes.
Rn N