weirdly out of tune Kawai

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 08:20:49 MDT 2007

The possibility of seasonal shift, coupled with a move(change in
environment)or new air conditioning/heating (duct blowing directly on the
piano or a portion of it)coupled with a move and a third possibility added
to the mix  the owner or someone playing the same piece with a heavy hand
over and over. Here's where previous tuner error or when was it last done
enters the picture. A solid tuning, one that has been pounded in by a
reputable technician will stand up to that sort of playing and not go that
far out of tune. I have found some of the tech's in my own area do not pound
in their tunings and the tunings tend to "drift" rather quickly.

One more nugget of info I have been tuning for a Kawai dealer for over 20
years, about a 15 or so years ago Kawai began getting complaints about
string tarnishing, they'd turn black or dark rather quickly. Then it stopped
but I noticed a change in the way they tuned. If a pitch raise of anything
approaching 25 cents was necessary I noticed the phenomonen of the strings
slipping around the hitchpin! I came to believe the strings were being
coated with something to froestall the tarnishing and it was slippery enough
to cause this problem. I modified my tuning method to compensate. I tune two
notes at a time(center string) then the RH string of the upper note and the
LH string of the lower note then I remove the center mute and tune the LH of
the upper and the RH of the lower. In this fasion I am immediatly tuning the
"other half" of the center string before it has time to slip around and the
same with the RH lower/LH upper.
I don't recall the 502's and the exact age of them but I'm thinking they
might fall into this time frame, check the manufacture date. The time I'm
thinking of was late 80's into the early 90's

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com