Twisting bass strings and the direction of the hitch pin segment

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 10 21:38:23 MDT 2007

There is a question I've had for years about twisting bass strings and the way some strings are made.  We are taught to twist them in the direction of the winding.  We just had a long discussion related to that.  But what about the direction of the hitch pin segment?  The hitch pin segment, that is, the loop and twists made to hold the loop, is not done in the same direction by all string makers.  Some bass strings are made so when we twist to tighten the copper winding, it serves to loosen or unwind the hitch pin segment.  Some string makers I have spoken with have also justified a rather long unwound segment near the agraffe, by explaining that strings tend to keep going in the direction of the agraffes year after year, not just after the initial stretching.  Could this be part of the reason this happens on some strings?  Do any of you who regularly restring pianos notice more instability with strings that are made this way?  I have only seen new pianos of off brands with bass strings made this way, but most of the pianos that were rebuilt over the last fifty years around Chicago have strings like this.  Bass strings have been made this way for decades, so maybe it's not really a problem, any comments?

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
847-498-0379