tough enough

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Fri Aug 10 23:06:35 MDT 2007

I attended Richard and Mitch's class, and also just passed my tuning exam.
Experiencing just how little a piano needs to be out of tune in order to
sound really bad, as demonstrated by Richard and Mitch, and how far it can
be out of tune and still allow one to pass the tuning exam tells me that the
current tuning exam is extremely tolerant. I think few of us could listen to
a tuning that is the result of an 80% passing grade and find it acceptable.
Even a "perfect" score of 100% which in the temperament section is plus or
minus 0.9 cents, allows for tunings that could be as far off as 1.8 cents
between adjacent strings. Does anyone think 1.8 cents out is an acceptable
tuning? I did quite well on the tuning exam, but now that I have succeeded
in jumping that hurdle I am perhaps even more aware of just how much room I
have for improvement before I am comfortable considering myself a proficient
aural tuner. Most of my customers will probably never be able to tell the
difference between a very good tuning and an acceptable one, nor probably
care, but I do.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles