Dampp-Chaser in action?

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 10:36:32 MDT 2007

Do any of you put heater rods inside grand action cavities?

I've been seeing it on rental pianos from a particular dealer and
wonder if anyone but them actually does this anymore.

I was called in on and emergency because the cord was bunched in the
cavity jammed into the underlevers.

Then I was called back  two days later because of a rattle I couldn't
discover, so I took out the rod which was jiffy-tied to the action
brackets, just to be sure.

Last year, it was an outdoor concert with a minor action problem, but
the the cord clamps were installed all along the beams,
and I couldn't pull the action!!! It was about 90 degrees and I had
to let it go rather than deal with that mess.

These little things irritate me, and I think the potential for
problems is greater than the benefits.

I want to talk to the dealer about it, but would like to know if
there is a consensus among us technicians.

Thanks.

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville, PA