Old piano new action

William Benjamin pianoboutique at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 12:12:50 MDT 2007

List,

This time I have really run into something strange.   Customer has a Steinway S serial number, 283983 which indicates it is an older grand.   She even had the receipt from 1939 where her grandmother paid $850 for the piano.

Here is the problem, it has an accelerated action with Teflon bushings.   Sorry, I did not look at the damper stack, but it has newer hammers and wippins.   Has there been a practice in the past of installing modern actions in older grands?

This is a first for me, anyone want to enlighten me?

William

PIANO BOUTIQUE
William Benjamin
Piano Tuner Extraordinaire