Dampp-Chaser in action?

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 19:37:05 MDT 2007

Too many pinblock have been destroyed by DC in the action cavity.  Take it
out.

How effective can a DC be under the keybed?  Maybe in an old S&S with
expansion gaps in the keybed, butI think not, with a 40-50 mm laminated
panel for keybed.

Does anyone have experience with Moisture King products?  In DC the copper
wire is wrapped around a glass rod and is very fragile.  I have seen many
of them fail.  In MK the heating element can be removed from the rod and
tied in a knot and still work fine.  They also have a model that is
somewhat like a man's belt, flexible, and design to lay between the front
rail and balance rail under the keys, more to protect the key bushing from
moisture than the action.  Has anyone had experience with this product?
And, what about using this in a piano with other electronics also installed
in this area, such as Quiet-Time key switches?

Frank Emerson