Charges

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 17 21:24:17 MDT 2007

> I point out to the newbies in our chapter constantly that piano work is
> a studied work, not so much about knowledge as about observation. If you
> have one key/note/hammer/whatever that is acting up you have 87
> samples to compare it to and observe the differences until you figure
> out what's wrong. If they just learn to start spraying Protek and Goose
> Juice willy nilly at everything that seems odd how will they learn how
> to repair things properly?

No need, when hosing the area within a four foot radius down
with CA fixes EVERYTHING. No point to learning anything, or
being restricted to anything limited to real world cause and
effect relationships when chemical anointment absolution is so
readily available. Rejoice, squeeze the applicator, and pad
the bill as heavily as you can get away with, as long as the
treasured client doesn't know the difference.

> The question was about charging. I charge my hourly rate which is based
> on what I know, just as a mechanic, electrician or plumber charges an
> hourly rate that is based upon their knowledge. They then charge that
> rate for the time it takes, period.

Yes, exactly. No tiny smoke emitting demons, no dog and pony
show, no "salesman will call" nonsense, just a simple
straightforward billing for hours spent in the sincere service
of the best interest of the client.

>If we begin adding in small amounts
> based on the time it took us to learn each tidbit in our arsenal we
> could easily price ourselves out of business. It took me 8&1/2 hours to
> tune my first piano, how do I figure that in? I've been amassing
> knowledge about construction, air handling, AC, heating units, air flow,
> types of windows, flooring and many other things directly relating to
> pianos and their care for 38 years how do I figure that into the price?
> I don't! I charge my hourly rate, I give good advice, I do good work,
> work that pleases me, not my customers, my standards are higher! I tune
> to please myself, not my customers again, my standards are higher! I get
> called back by most, I work regularly, I sleep well, that's enough.

10-4, good job.

Ron N